Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Freebies

So I have a degree in art. I paid an AWFUL lot of money to get said degree. And then I'm requested to do free art for people... I mean. I don't mind a favor for a favor. Example: I have a friend who's amazing at English. I asked him to read over an essay for me. Great! He asked me to do a banner for him for his blog, so I'm going to! See? it's like trading goods. He's good at one thing, I'm good at another, and we trade.

Here is an example of my coworker's dog I drew for her. It's actually the cutest dog I've ever seen. (Yes, that includes my own dogs, and your dog too, if I've seen it.) I've decided it's the last "freebie" I'm giving out, because I like my co-worker and she's helped me out a lot at the job! BUT NO MORE!

This concludes the free art spree. Now my prices are HIGH!!!!



Opinions on this train of thought??

6 comments:

  1. FREE ART FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

    ReplyDelete
  2. no but seriously. you deserve to be paid for your talents. you wouldnt expect a plumber to come over and fix your pipes just because you went to jr high together. maybe youd get a special deal on your or he'd treat your pipes with extra special care, and maybe he'd even pull up his pants... but you wouldnt expect it for free.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts exactly!! Thanks Craigiszm. I'm glad I'm not being a jerk. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'll barter with people for art. Or do an art trade. But that's it. If you got the money honey, I got the time and the art, but that's it. I don't think you will be taken seriously if you're giving your art away for free all the time. As well it gets bad when you're trying to sell, if a buyer finds out other people are getting work for free, you could lose a buyer.

    Also if I do commissions, I want at least 50% of the price straight up. I don't want to work on something and then someone decides they don't want it. I've heard horror stories of people in freelance design having that happen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah! I can't believe anyone would do that to an artist. (Let you work your ass of and then not pay). Thanks for the advice, Jon. No more freebies EVER EVER EVER!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That IS the cutest dog ever. And yeah, if you're going to do works for people, you definitely want to get paid for it. Less of course its works for say...me...cause, that would just be for love <3 *snorts*

    ReplyDelete